Tuesday, January 26, 2010

First Post

My passion for reading started when I was in the seventh grade. I remember my father brought me to a Barns and Nobles where I picked out three books. I even remember which books I bought: The Golden Compass, The Giver and Holes. After that, I was not happy unless I had a book to read, and probably read one book every week. In the eighth grade I went through a sort of “Gothic" phase and started to read more classic horror, like Bram Stoker’s Dracula, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and Frankenstein.



My junior year in High School, I was put into Mrs. Long’s English III class. It was in her class where I was first introduced to Modern literature. We read things like The Catcher in the Rye, The Sound and the Fury, and a lot of Modern poetry. Reading this literature really struck a chord within me. I loved analyzing the literature, looking for symbolism and metaphors. The themes of alienation and disconnection from mankind were real to me. What impressed me most about Modern literature is that it questions assumptions put in place by social institutions. I have been in love with Modern literature ever since.



I would like to use this blog to share my thoughts on different works from the Modern period, and would also like to connect its themes to our day. The literature I'm especially interested in are "absurdist" works, especially French absurdism. I like these works especially because they are highly ambiguous in their meanings, and can be analyzed from many different perspectives. In doing so, I would like to get other people's opinions on the literature and discover other people's perspectives in how they analyze the literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment